Specific requirements vary from county to county. The requirements of Pike County Probate Judge Wes Allen are listed below.
Please call to make an appointment for name change. 334-566-1246
Adult Name Changes
The Petitioner must be a legal resident of Pike Countyand age 19 or older. If you are a legal resident of another county, you will need to contact the Probate Court in the county you reside for information on the procedure, as this process varies from county to county.
- The Petitioner must provide a certified copy of his/her birth certificate dated within the last 30 days. Certified copies may be obtained from the Center of Health Statistics or the Pike County Health Department.
- The Petitioner must present picture identification, i.e., driver's license or military identification that is not expired. The Petitioner's signature will be notarized in the Probate Court Office.
- The filing fee is $38.00. Any additional certified copies of the name change will cost an additional $3.00.
Minor Name Changes
- Petition for minor name change must be filed by an attorney. Minor children must be legal residents of Pike County.
- The Petitioner must present a certified copy of the child's birth certificate. Certified copies may be obtained from the Center of Health Statistics or the Pike County Health Department in the state in which the child was born.
- A person listed as the father on the birth certificate must petition jointly with the mother for a name change or sign a consent form.
- If no father is listed on the birth certificate or the father cannot consent, you must hire an attorney to file for the name change. If no father is listed on the birth certificate or no father can be located, publication by newspaper is necessary.
- The Petitioner must present picture identification, i.e., driver's license or military identification.
- The minor child who is 14 or older must sign a consent form to have a legal name change.
- The filing fee is $38.00 (cash or check accepted). A Certified copy of the name change will cost an additional $3.00.